Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Barbie of the Month – Beautiful Bride Barbie

 It’s 2013, and I thought I would begin showcasing an amazing doll each Month.  What better way to kick off this group of magnificent dolls than highlighting one of my favorites, the incredible “Beautiful Bride Barbie, stock #9599”.


The beautiful Bride Barbie #9599 is an unusual doll in so many ways.  First, she’s from 1976, a year some people would insist is not a true vintage doll.  But she was the first bride doll to be released to the public (other than a few very early “dressed dolls” that could be found in the pink silhouette or dressed doll boxes, wearing one of the very early wedding dresses).  Her release was very limited and could only be found in a few select department stores.  The box is not marked “special” as you will find on the “Ballerina Barbie on Tour” box that was released at the same time and in the same department stores.

Second, her unusually gorgeous face makes her unique.  She has the twist-n-turn face mold like the 1967 dolls, with real rooted eyelashes.  Interestingly, she was the first doll that was released in the United States with rooted eyelashes since 1972.  She’s on a twist-n-turn bend knee body (marked “Korea”), and only came with blonde hair.  Her hair is parted on the side, medium length with a looser style flip. 

She’s dressed in a lovely white wedding dress, beautiful headpiece, with white closed toe shoes and wore a white single strand pearl necklace.  Also included was a garter, and her bridal bouquet with a blue satin ribbon attached.

Since this doll is so hard to locate, people often get her confused with the “Beautiful Bride Barbie #9907” from 1978.  That doll has a different face mold (superstar face) and painted on eyelashes.  But these dolls don’t hold a candle to the exquisite #9599!

In the last four months, eBay has only sold two of these highly sought after dolls, and both were still mint in box!  You can also purchase just the wedding ensemble, which is just as hard to find.  The stock number for the outfit is #9149.  

Happy Hunting!

7 comments:

  1. I just happened to stumble across a new listing on ebay and snatched it for $279! but worth every red penny!!!!! I'm still in shock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a wedding day barbie doll for Christmas when I was a child. I just came across the doll while cleaning. the markings on the back of her head say Matel 1976. I cannot find a listing or a picture of this doll. do y'all know anything about it? I was born in 1979 but the doll was in its box when I received it. I do not remember how old I was when I received it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would need a picture to help you identify her. You can email that to me at marie@myvintagebarbies.com

    Here is the link to my Beautiful Bride page of my website, where I have a picture of Superstar Barbie in the lower left hand corner. She was from 1978. After 1976 when Beautiful Bride was released, there have been many bridal Barbie dolls.

    http://myvintagebarbies.com/beautiful-bride-barbie.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bought this very doll at the 2nd handstore when i was little, probably back in like 1980. i will never forget that face, & them eyes. but the thing is, it was this barbie head, on a "free-moving" barbie body. i don't know what ever happened to her though???
    :o/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Value is based on condition. Mint in the box is usually more valuable. If she looks to be in new condition, I would say she would be worth some money. Even out of the box, she's a beautiful doll to have in your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a beautiful bride barbie 9907 complete in original box how much would this doll be worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to get an indication of what the value is of your doll, is by going to eBay and searching the 'SOLD" listings to see what others have sold for in the last several months.

      Delete

I appreciate all of your comments! Once reviewed, it will show on this site. Please, no external links in your comments, as the comment will be removed.

Thank you!